May 4, 2012
Priciest Items Sold on eBay
Everyday, many individuals place bids on items up for auction on eBay. However, those everyday bidders do not typically come close to bidding the price the following bidders paid for their eBay auction purchases:
- In 2000, Brian Seigel paid $1.1 million plus a 15% buyer's fee to get his hands on the T206 Honus Wagner baseball card that was issued in 1909. The small card measuring 2.5 by 1.5 inches was the most expensive item sold on eBay that year.
- In 2010, an anonymous buyer placed the highest bid for a lunch date with Werkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffet. The $2.6 million bid was part of eBay's most expensive charity auction-- the auction raised over $9 million for the Glide Memorial Church.
- Bridgeville, California and the town's 30 or so residents have been put up for auction on eBay three times since 2002. When the town sold for $1.77 million in 2002, it became the first town ever to sell on eBay.
- An anonymous couple purchased a former U.S. missile base on eBay in 2002 for $2.1 million. The eBay description of the base where the government once housed an international ballistic missile silo described the site as the "perfect solution for the right family or corporation...[considering] the escalating threat of world terrorism and an increasing need for security."
- A 405 foot "giga-yacht," complete with a built-in helicopter garage, sold for $140 million in 2005. The anonymous winning bidder is no doubt enjoying the yacht's 10 multi-level suites with panoramic windows, eight cabins, salon, cinema room, fitness room, and office are.
- In 2001, business plane vendor Tyler Jet sold a private jet on eBay for $4.9 million--the highest known sale price for any item ever auctioned over the website at that time.
For more pricey items sold on eBay, see Jason Henry McCormick, Most Expensive Items Ever Sold on eBay, CBS MoneyWatch, May 1, 2012.
Special thanks to David S. Luber (Attorney at law, Florida Probate Attorney Wills and Estates Law Firm) for bringing this article to my attention.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Priciest Items Sold on eBay:
Can people - "the town's 30 or so residents" really be sold on eBay?
Posted by: Jennifer Deland | May 4, 2012 6:34:35 PM