Friday, November 14, 2008
It's been almost exactly a year since I started blogging here. I want to thank Bill and Sheila again for such a great opportunity. Now, on to torts...
Reform, Legislation, Policy
- Senate Finance Chair Max Baucus (D-MT) calls for legal reforms. (LegalNewsline)
- Classmates.com user sues; Alleges classmates weren't looking for him after all. (Wired)
- The brothers injured in the Christmas Day tiger attack at the San Francisco Zoo have filed suit. (Mercury News)
- Victims of Minnesota bridge collapse to bring suit. (CNN)
- Current and former high school students sue school district over sex story in newspaper. (The Seattle Times)
Sports and Torts
- A high school football coach is sued by his former player for assault and emotional distress. The coach allegedly made racially and ethnically charged remarks. The story is here.
- Man hit in the groin at a batting cage awarded $1.2 million. (Miami Herald)
Trials, Settlements & Other Ends
- Trial begins in suit attempting to bankrupt Klan group. (CNN)
- District court rejects challenge to Exxon Valdez payment plan. (Cal Punitive Damages)
- MO Court of Appeals allows punies 75X compensatory award. (Cal Punitive Damages)
- Study: Tax increase on alcohol saves lives. (CNN)
- Alternatives to the tort system: Med mal in Saudi Arabia--15 years in prison and 1,500 lashes (Overlawyered)
Thanks to Eric Turkewitz and Bill.