May 2, 2006
Best Headline Today
(I have to note that I was much more amused when I thought it said "Self-Hating Latte Cans Bring Out Lawyers." One can only imagine what a self-hating latte can would be -- perhaps its labeling would say "C'mon, it's just coffee and hot milk in a can, and you're paying three bucks for it?! I'm not worth it, you pretentious-yet-oddly-downmarket consumer.")
Anyway, it's an interesting story about Wolfgang Puck's line of self-heating lattes-in-cans being withdrawn due to utterly predictable (to the non-self-heating-latte-specialist, anyway) Bad Things(tm) -- exploding cans, leaking chemicals, etc.
The story also contains a stunning blast of obviousness at the end:
But one beverage industry expert says that self-heating coffee was never going to be a booming business. "This package was an interesting novelty, but was never going to be a big idea," said John Sicher, publisher of Beverage Digest. "It's not exactly hard to find a hot cup of coffee in America."
(Via WSJ LawBlog.)
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Best Headline Today:
» Who those wacky warnings are for from Overlawyered
On May 2, Bill Childs' blog covered the litigation over Wolfgang Puck self-heating latte cans, a bad business idea gone worse when the cans never quite worked right. A June 17 commenter, however, perhaps demonstrates... [Read More]
Tracked on Jun 18, 2006 6:06:22 AM
When will there be a class action suit against WP Gourmet Lattes? In this microwave society and Campbell Soup's TV ads on microwavable soup in a can, WP's self-heating can was negligent in it's small, hidden warning against heating in a microwave (which causes a severe explosion in a matter of seconds). Our microwave was destroyed, our kitchen covered in dried latte and most important, my wife required 7 stiches above her eye. Had she been in front of the microwave, she'd also been scalded, even blinded. Her employer's (middle school pricipal) cousin experienced the same thing (without the injuries), but could have been near the exploding microwave with her infant! There's better warnings on firecrackers!
Posted by: Mike Edwards | Jun 17, 2006 5:54:05 PM
Mike Edwards, are you sure you want to publish on the web the tale of your manifest stupidity?
Posted by: dweeb | Jun 19, 2006 11:13:26 AM
Ever heard the term "astroturfing"?
Posted by: Deoxy | Jun 19, 2006 3:25:44 PM
http://www.overlawyered.com/ Well, Mike, you made it on Overlawyered.com! Congrats on looking like an idiot to even more people.
Posted by: Greg Gil | Jun 19, 2006 5:23:05 PM
Mike, we'll help you out: When you light a firecracker, avoid sticking it up your nose, or even worse, in the darkened anal area where you appear to store your head.
Posted by: Amy Alkon | Jun 19, 2006 7:07:01 PM
Have ANY of you even seen the product?
Have any of you ever seen the Campbell Soup commercials with their microwaveable product?
The latte, being similar to the Campbell Soup procuct in packaging AND being intoduced at approx the SAME time period, should have had a more prominent warning label...have ANY of you SEEN the miniscule print on the latte label? Seems that MANY people experienced the same problem, but of course, it is easier to laugh at and criticise others than to correct your own short comings...hope nothing EVER happens to you perfect specimens of humanity. Investigate before you expose YOUR ignorance!
Posted by: Mike Edwards | Nov 8, 2006 10:22:50 AM
I just read some more comments from people who don't seem capable of investigating before opening mouth...
The latte "cans" were NOT metal, they were paper with a metal pull-off. Yes idiots, the metal pull-off was INDEED pulled off first. Find a "can" of the latte and try to find the warning (you'll have to pull YOUR head out of the dark region first...DO NOT light a match up there so you can see)! To the intelligent commentors...thanks.
Posted by: Mike Edwards | Nov 8, 2006 10:34:47 AM