Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The $500,000 Property Visa

Via the L.A. Times:

Two U.S. senators have introduced a bill that would allow foreigners who spend at least $500,000 on residential property to obtain visas allowing them to live in the United States. The legislation would create a new homeowner visa that would be renewable every three years, but the proposal would not put them on a path to citizenship. To be eligible, a person would have to buy a primary residence of at least $250,000 and spend a total of $500,000 on residential real estate. The other properties could be rented.

The program would come with several restrictions. The purchase would have to be in cash, with no mortgage or home equity loan allowed. And the property would have to be bought for more than its most recent appraised value, Schumer said. The buyer would have to live in the home for at least 180 days each year, which would require paying U.S. income taxes on any foreign earnings. Buyers would no longer be eligible for the temporary visa if the property were sold.

Steve Clowney


| Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:


Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The $500,000 Property Visa:


That sounds similar to the EB-5 Investor Immigrant program, which grants visa to foreign nationals who invest at least $500,000 in certain commercial enterprises. The EB-5 program has been touted by commercial real estate developers as a way to encourage foreign investment in domestic commercial real estate. Sounds like the residential real estate developers want a piece of the action.

Posted by: Tanya Marsh | Oct 25, 2011 7:30:54 AM

Post a comment