« Third Circuit: FDA Ad Regulation Preempts State Law Consumer Protection Claims | Main | In Utah, Regulatory Compliance Makes Product Presumptively Non-Defective »

September 5, 2007

Wrongful Death Suit Alleges Floor Buffer Caused Death

My first job, when I was 14 years old, was in a music store dusting, sweeping, and mopping and buffing the floors at the end of the day.  I once let go of the floor buffer before the polishing disk had stopped rotating.  The result was a floor buffer that traveled through a plate glass window and on to the sidewalk outside.  Fortunately, no one was hurt in that incident but I learned early that these things can be dangerous.  But dangerous enough to kill someone?

A Texas woman has brought a wrongful death claim against the manufacturer of an allegedly defective propane-powered floor buffer.  Her husband was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes, rendered unconscious, and eventually died while operating the machine to clean floors inside a building.  The owner's manual for the propane engine warned to "never run the engine indoors" and that the engine emitted "carbon monoxide gas which is toxic.  Breathing it can cause unconsciousness and even kill you."  The plaintiff alleges that the engine was defectively designed because it was not equipped with proper safety equipment.  See Michelle Massey's story for the Southeast Texas Record.

JDP

September 5, 2007 | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341bfae553ef00e54eec9c578834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Wrongful Death Suit Alleges Floor Buffer Caused Death:

Comments

Post a comment