Tuesday, May 14, 2013
With apologies for the latness of this post (I plead grading)... I wanted to at least give everyone a summary of where we are with 501(c)(4)-Gate.
As I am sure most of you know by now, the IRS has admitted to using the terms "Tea Party" and "Patriot" in trying to prioritize which Section 501(c)(4) applications to scrutinze. We have a House Ways and Means hearing on Friday; I don't think a Senate Finance hearing has been set yet but Senator Hatch wants one; a IG report is in the works (a draft portion of which is linked below); and the late word on the street is that AG Holder may be involved soon enough.
For now, I'm just going to highlight some resources in one place and try to keep a master list of relevant documents:
- Lois Lerner's Remarks at the EO Tax Meeting (h/t Election Law Blog with imbedded h/t to EO Tax Journal)
- Baucus Comments, Senate Finance
- Ways and Means Hearing Announcement for this Friday (May 17, 2013)
- May 10 Press Briefing by Jay Carney
- Draft IG Report Appendix Per ABC News
- Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration Report
- Statement of Secretary Lew on Resignation of IRS Acting Commissioner
- The NYTimes via TaxProf Blog: Should 501(c)(4)'s be eliminated
Paul Streckfus' EO Tax Journal has good coverage if you have a subscription.
If there is something else you'd like to see added to the list of resources, please let me know in the comments or via email. I am trying to stay with primary sources and not with news articles, for now.
More to follow, no doubt. EWW
Updated 5/17 to include more links.