Monday, February 11, 2013
IRS Exempt Organizations Division has issued the its annual report for Fiscal Year 2012 and its workplan for Fiscal Year 2013. Highlights include:
- Staffing declined slightly from FY2010 (900) to FY 2012 (876).
- Examinations also declined slightly during the same period from 11,449 returns to 10,743 returns (not including compliance checks).
- Disclosures from the IRS to the states remain limited, with only eight agencies in seven states apparently able to meet the disclosure eligibility requirements for such disclosures, although those eight agencies received approximately 27,000 disclosures (which includes 501(c)(3) exemption application approvals).
- Seventy percent of the approximately 60,000 applications were reviewed and closed within 120 days.
- Among its projects for FY2013 is sending a questionnaire to "self-declared" section 501(c)(4), (5), and (6) organizations that filed Form 990 in 2010 or 2011, presumably to determine to what extent there may be questions regarding their claimed tax-exempt status among these groups.