Tuesday, May 22, 2012
With particular relevance during this election season, the New York Times hosted another online "Room for Debate" entitled, "Should Churches Get Tax Breaks?" This debate is composed of 5 pieces written by 6 persons (one is co-written) of differing backgrounds and viewpoints. For those of us in legal academia, this can serve as a great platform for an interesting class discussion on the policy behind the tax exemption. The five submissions are:
1. Mark L. Rienzi, "Good for Religion, Good for America"
2. Dan Barker, "Government Is Endorsing Religion"
3. Winnie Varghese, "Sustaining Progressive Faith"
4. Lawrence Sager & Christopher L. Eisgruber, "Don't Play Favorites"
5. Susan Jacoby, "Equal Protection vs. 'Religious Freedom'"
Hat tip: Nonprofit Quarterly