May 22, 2012
NYT's "Room for Debate" - Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
With particular relevance during this election season, the New York Times hosted another online "Room for Debate" entitled, "Should Churches Get Tax Breaks?" This debate is composed of 5 pieces written by 6 persons (one is co-written) of differing backgrounds and viewpoints. For those of us in legal academia, this can serve as a great platform for an interesting class discussion on the policy behind the tax exemption. The five submissions are:
1. Mark L. Rienzi, "Good for Religion, Good for America"
2. Dan Barker, "Government Is Endorsing Religion"
3. Winnie Varghese, "Sustaining Progressive Faith"
4. Lawrence Sager & Christopher L. Eisgruber, "Don't Play Favorites"
5. Susan Jacoby, "Equal Protection vs. 'Religious Freedom'"
Hat tip: Nonprofit Quarterly
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference NYT's "Room for Debate" - Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?: