Saturday, December 31, 2011
The New York Times reports that just two days after raids on as many as ten human rights organizations, the Egyptian government has signaled that it will back off and return confiscated property. The groups raided included several American-financed organizations and a German organization. The government said it was investigating illegal foreign financing of NGOs, but Egyptian activists argue that the government is trying to block criticsm because groups have called for the military leaders to cede power to civilian leaders.
The story notes that the future of human rights groups in Egypt remains uncertain, because nearly all are technically illegal. Under Mubarak era law, the groups must get licenses that are almost never issued and most groups depend on foreign financing, which is tightly regulated. A U.S. state department spokesperson said that the military council had issued assurances that the organizations would be able to resume work. The groups said they had been told they would soon be able to work on getting legal status.