Thursday, April 26, 2012
Media mogul Rupert Murdoch appeared again before the Leveson Inquiry in London Thursday, and admitted that he had not done an adequate job of investigating the phone hacking scandal at the News of the World, a scandal which has continued to cause repercussions for him, his son James, and high level administrators at News Corp. "Someone took charge of a cover-up, which we were victim to and I regret," he told the members of the Leveson Inquiry. He said "panic" led to his decision to close down News of the World. He apologized for the scandal and for his mishandling of the investigation, but said that he had cleaned house and the company is now "new." and has "new rules, new compliance officers."
Earlier this week, James Murdoch, former head of News International, appeared before the same Inquiry, and testified that he did not know the extent of phonehacking at News of the World. He also testified that he did not read emails fully that might have alerted him to the amount of phonehacking going on at NotW.
CSPAN links to Rupert and James Murdoch testimony, and other NotW information here.