Media Law Prof Blog

Editor: Christine A. Corcos
Louisiana State Univ.

A Member of the Law Professor Blogs Network

Friday, October 6, 2006

ABC's Error Allows Blogger to Identify Page

ABC's apparently accidental identification of a former Congressional page allowed an alert blogger to identify him, locate him, and drag him into the ever widening Mark Foley mess. The young man, now an adult and working on a gubernatorial campaign, has not responded to media requests for information. Read more here.

October 6, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Newmarket Films Aiming For US Market With "Death of a President"

Newmarket Films is attempting to market the controversial film "Death of a President" in the U.S. "Death of a President" is the pseudodocumentary which premiered last month in Toronto and which purports to show the assassination of a sitting US head of state. Two major US theater chains have already refused to book the movie, but Newmarket is not deterred. Read more here.

October 6, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Los Angeles Times Publisher Gone

The Tribune Company has finally succeeded in firing Los Angeles Times publisher Jeffrey Johnson after a three week battle. The company named a new publisher, David Hiller. Times editor Dean Baquet remains in place, at least for now. Read more here in a New York Times story. Here' are L. A. Times stories about the new publisher and about Johnson's departure.

October 6, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Thursday, October 5, 2006

Channel 4's "Big Brother" Misleads Viewers, Says British Agency

A British regulatory agency has ruled that two phone companies must pay the costs of its lengthy investigation into the circumstances surrounding the voting off and subsequent bringing-back of contestants on Channel 4's "Big Brother" program. Viewers who watched the program thought that they had voted some contestants off permanently, using premium rate "call in" or interactive TV remote numbers. The agency, the Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services (ICSTIS), found that Channel 4 had breached the agency's Code of Practice and misled viewers, even though the show advertised that "twists and turns" were part of the show. ICSTIS received more than 2500 complaints about the show. While the agency ruled that the return of these particular contestants did not "materially change...the outcome of the programme", it did levy administrative charges of nearly fifty thousand pounds against the telephone companies to cover the costs of the investigation. Channel 4 says it will pick up the tab. Read more here. Read ICSTIS' press release here.

October 5, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Miami Herald Publisher Resigns

Jesus Diaz, Jr. has resigned as publisher and general manager of the Miami Herald and the Miami Herald Media Company, saying that a continuing investigation of journalists who might have violated the paper's conflict of interest rules had uncovered several more employees. In a letter to the paper's readers, Diaz said, "We cannot compromise principles that protect the free press from government intrusion. I well understand that totalitarian governments, such as Fidel Castro's regime, cannot exist in a country that enjoys a free press. This separation and the adherence by our employees to our conflict of interest rules are also essential for us to sustain our transparency and ensure that editors and reporters will continue to function as impartial and independent watchdogs in our community. Our readers deserve and should expect nothing less.

"On Sept. 6 we knew only that two employees and a freelancer had received payments through contracts from Radio and TV Martí. After investigating, we found that six other El Nuevo Herald newsroom employees also received payments from Radio and TV Martí over the past five years in amounts ranging from $125 to $3,350 per employee. Of these six, only one was still working for Radio and TV Martí when we started our investigation."

Further, Diaz wrote, "We also discovered that over many years, our conflict of interest policies were poorly communicated and inconsistently applied in the El Nuevo Herald newsroom. Of the six newly identified employees who took payments, four tell us they had permission from the late Carlos Castañeda, then the executive editor of El Nuevo Herald, to appear in Radio and TV Martí and to be paid for those appearances. In interviews prior to their dismissal, the two employees who were terminated said that while supervisors who are no longer with us knew of their work on Radio and TV Martí, they did not recall discussing payments. Some of the employees who worked for Radio and TV Martí recruited others within the El Nuevo Herald newsroom to do the same, indicating a general pattern of acceptance for this type of behavior.

"While I still believe that the acceptance of such payments by the nine journalists was a breach of widely accepted principles of journalistic ethics that violated the trust of our readers, our policies prohibiting such behavior were ambiguously communicated, inconsistently applied and widely misunderstood over many years in the El Nuevo Herald newsroom. It has been determined that in fairness we should extend an amnesty to all involved and enforce our policies more forcefully and consistently in the future. Those who were dismissed will be allowed to return to El Nuevo Herald, and the six newly identified employees will not be disciplined. They cannot accept money from Radio or TV Martí, and their executive editor must expressly approve any future appearances in writing.

Diaz notes that his replacement will be David Landsberg. "I realize and regret that the events of the past three weeks have created an environment that no longer allows me to lead our newspapers in a manner most beneficial for our newspapers, our readers and our community. Therefore, I informed our parent company of my intention to resign as soon as my replacement could be found. The decision has been made to name David Landsberg, our general manager, and someone I am proud to have worked with, as my replacement as president of Miami Herald Media Company and publisher of The Miami Herald and El Nuevo Herald, effective immediately. David is a good man, and he will serve our newspapers, our readers and our community well."

Read Mr. Diaz' entire letter here.

October 3, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

School Administrator Creates Mock Video; Gets Some Hostile Reactions

A suburban Chicago school superintendent may lose his post over what he describes as a joke. Rich Mitchell created a video that used real footage from interviews with newly hired teachers but intercut it with new questions, thus creating entirely false impressions of the teachers' responses. He showed the "mockumentary" at a staff seminar in August, where it was apparently poorly received by some attendees. He then posted it on the web. After the media got a copy, an investigation was called for. Read more here and here (includes link to video--caution, video loads slowly).

October 3, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Monday, October 2, 2006

The New York Times on Media Ownership

The New York Times' Richard Siklos has an interesting piece on media conglomerates and their future in yesterday's edition. "How Did Newspapers Land In This Mess?" discusses the differing fates of publicly and privately held media empires. Read it here.

October 2, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Appellate Court Overturns Piracy Conviction Against Andreas Bawer

A Swedish appellate court has overturned a 2005 video piracy conviction against Andreas Bawer, holding that the prosecution did not present enough evidence to show that Bawer distributed the material from his computer. Read more here.

October 2, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)