Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Verdict Upheld Against Port Authority in 1993 WTC Bombings

John Sullivan, writing for the New York Times, reports that the NY Court of Appeals has upheld the verdict.  He writes:

“The evidence placed before the jury entitled it to conclude that the defendant’s negligence was, if not gross, dramatically out of the ordinary,” the court found. “The documentary proof persuasively demonstrated that the defendant, years in advance of the bombing, had been repeatedly placed on notice of a gaping vulnerability in its subgrade parking facilities rendering its premises susceptible to a potentially catastrophic car bombing; indeed, defendant was repeatedly advised, not simply to the vulnerability, but as to the precise manner in which it could with little practical difficulty be exploited to devastating effect.”....

....The Port Authority said it originally faced 575 lawsuits stemming from the 1993 attack and over the years all but about 50 have been resolved. Mr. Coleman said he did not know how much the authority has paid to settle the cases so far.

ADL

 

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/mass_tort_litigation/2008/04/bombing-verdict.html

Mass Disasters | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341bfae553ef00e5521baced8834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Verdict Upheld Against Port Authority in 1993 WTC Bombings :

» Appellate Division upholds $1.8 billion 1993 WTC bombing verdict from PointOfLaw Forum
In the wake of the September 11 bombings, Congress established a Victims Compensation Fund and limited liability for a number of deep-pockets who were also victimized by the attacks. A number of academics questioned that it was even conceivable that... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 30, 2008 6:21:57 AM

Comments

Post a comment