January 4, 2010
Tallying the gains and losses for gay equality, 2000-2009
The Movement Advancement Project has compiled an incredibly valuable collection of statistics that documents the gains and losses for gay/lesbian equality between 2000 and 2009. Some highlights:
- States outlawing sexual orientation discrimination, up 83% from 12 to 22.
- States extending freedom to marry, up from 0 to 5.
- States blocking marriage equality through statewide vote, up 500%, from 5 to 31.
- Gay/straight alliance clubs in high schools, up 600%, from 700 to 4,700.
- Portion of public favoring gays to serve in the military, up 21%, from 62% to 75%.
- Cumulative discharges of gays from the military since 1993, up 93%, from 6,716 to 12,961.
January 4, 2010 | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Tallying the gains and losses for gay equality, 2000-2009: