Friday, August 11, 2017
If you're a member of the Association of Legal Writing Directors (ALWD), you have a chance to participate in one of the organization's committees during the coming academic year. There are many committees to choose from on the 2017-18 Committee List. You should submit your "Committee Preference Form" to ALWD by August 15, 2017.
1. Bylaws Committee: Periodically reviews the ALWD By-Laws; suggests changes to the by-laws for board approval
2. New Directors Committee: Provides support to new directors; organizes meetings with new directors at conferences
3. Leadership & Development Committee: Provides mentoring opportunities to directors; helps develop the leadership skills of ALWD members; promotes leadership within ALWD
4. Diversity Committee: Serves as a resource for all Committees to ensure inclusion of diverse voices in ALWD’s programming and resources
1. Conference Program Committee: Designs the overall program; selects a plenary speaker or panel; drafts the Call for Proposals; reviews and selects the presentations; organizes the program schedule; notifies the presenters
2. Conference Site Committee: Works with the site host on all aspects of conference details; secures sponsorships
3. Website Committee: Maintains and updates website; provides suggestions to the board on improving the website; investigates existing platform and new platforms for use for an online Legal Communication and Rhetoric: JALWD
4. Survey Committee: Works with LWI on developing, administering, and maintaining the annual legal writing survey
5. New Member Outreach Committee: Welcomes new members to ALWD with events at conferences; assists members in finding ways to become involved with ALWD
6. Blackwell Reception: Works with LWI on organizing Blackwell Reception including location, catering, program, etc.
1. Teaching Grants Committee: Advertises ALWD’s summer grants for supporting development of teaching ideas and explains the process for applying; recommends recipients to the board; monitors recipients’ progress
2. Teaching Workshops Committee: Organizes program; advertises process; helps select speakers
1. Visiting Scholars Committee: Advertises program and process by which ALWD funds an individual scholar’s visit to a school; recommends proposals to the board; works with site hosts as needed
2. Scholars Fora Committee: Advertises program for a small group of scholars to present works in progress led by a mentor; recommends host schools to the board; works with site hosts to organize workshop, including participants and mentors
3. Scholarship Grants: Advertises ALWD’s summer grants for supporting scholarship; recommends recipients to the board; monitors recipients’ progress
4. Publications (other than JALWD): Proposes new publications for board approval and then oversees the development of the publication
5. ALWD Guide Task Force: An on-going commitment to improve and maintain the quality of the ALWD Guide to Legal Citation, including the companion exercises, by working with the publisher and the authors and making recommendations to the Board.
For questions, please contact ALWD President Megan McAlpin at email@example.com
If you're an ALWD member, you can find the Committee Preference Form at https://oregon.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6njcvtwBTkvXaPX