Sunday, March 26, 2017
The Central States Area Legal Writing Conference will be hosted by the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law on September 15-16, 2017. Presentation proposals are due by Friday, March 31, 2017.
The Program Committee is seeking proposals that are broadly related to this year’s theme, which focuses on how we can make our classes more fun; how we can find fun in our jobs and personal lives; and how we can best teach students the notion that lawyering is fun. The organizers are especially looking for presentation ideas that will provide conference participants with quick “take-aways” that they can bring home and incorporate into their classes. Time slots are generally set up in 50-minute increments. Please note that co-presenters and groups are welcome. As part of your proposal, please identify how your material(s) might be shared with the group.
- 15-minute speed rounds (three to a time slot)
- 25-minute presentations (single, co-presenter, or group) (two to a time slot)
- 50-minute discussions (panel)
If you are interested in presenting, please send us a one- to two-page proposal with the following information:
- Your name, professional title and school.
- Contact information, e-mail address, and telephone number.
- Number of years teaching in a law school (we will consider applications with all levels of experience).
- Title of your presentation – what is the topic that would fit on a bumper sticker.
- One paragraph description of your presentation, about 300 words.
- Technology needs beyond the basics. All rooms have computers with internet, and projection and audio capabilities. We have DVD, CD, and flash drive ports.
- Whether the presentation is lecture style or, preferably, interactive.
- Preferred length and whether you’d be willing to adapt the presentation for a different length or format (e.g., presenting in a speed round or forming a panel with others presenting on the same topic).
- Although most presenters will be chosen to present on only one topic, please submit as many proposals as you would like considered.
Please send proposals to Judith A. Rosenbaum, Clinical Professor of Law, at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. Her e-mail address is email@example.com. Her telephone number is (312) 503-8943. Please send in Microsoft Word or the equivalent.
If you’ve never presented at a conference before, the organizers urge you to give this opportunity special consideration and to let them know that this will be your first conference presentation. Presenting at a regional conference is one of the best ways to jump into the legal writing community at a broader level than just your school.
The organizers plan to let presenters know by April 10 whether their proposals have been accepted; the specifics of the conference schedule (format, time, etc.) will be sent out in late April or early May.
Hat tip to the Central States Area Legal Writing Conference Program Committee: Judy Rosenbaum, Elizabeth De Armond, Mary Nagel, Norm Plate, and Wanda Temm.