Sunday, August 11, 2013
Awards Presented at the Scribes Luncheon in San Francisco: Chase College of Law, South Texas College of Law, and Elon University Win the Brief-Writing Awards
Scribes -- The American Society of Legal Writers -- held its annual luncheon and awards presentation during the annual meeting of the American Bar Association.
The 2013 Brief-Writing Awards were given to the following persons:
- First Place: Ashley Brucato and Nathan Lennon (students at Northern Kentucky University Salmon P. Chase College of Law)
- Second Place: Katherine Harrington and Michael Hodge (students at South Texas College of Law)
- Third Place: Sarah Boshears and Grant Buckner (students at Elon University School of Law)
Scribes presented a Legal-Publisher Award to Carolina Academic Press for its longstanding service to the legal writing community. As you may know, it published Plain English for Lawyers by Richard Wydick and has sold at least 800,000 copies (and probably more than a million copies, but records don't go back far enough). It also publishes many other legal writing and legal research titles. Keith Sipe, the publisher, accepted the award.
The prestigious Scribes Book Awards went to two books:
- First Place: John Fabian Witt, for Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History
- Second Place: Allan A. Ryan, Yamashita's Ghost: War Crimes, MacArthur's Justice, and Command Accountability
Robert Brun, Q.C., President of the Canadian Bar Association, was a special guest at the luncheon and shared his thoughts on legal writing and the need to communicate clearly with clients.
The luncheon speaker was Judge William A. Fletcher of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Photos (which we'll probably have at some point) were taken by Professor Kim Holst of Arizona State University, incoming Chair of the Association of American Law Schools Section on Legal Writing, Reasoning, and Research. Attendees included legal writing professors, deans, lawyers, and law students from across the United States.
Mark E. Wojcik, Treasurer, Scribes