Monday, August 18, 2008
While this isn't the up-to-date mindset list on this year's freshman (it hasn't been released yet; but here's the site), it IS the list for the students we probably have in our 1-L classes this fall.
Traditional college-to-law-school 1-L students . . . were born in 1986.
- Desi Arnaz, Orson Welles, Roy Orbison, Ted Bundy, Ayatollah Khomeini, and Cary Grant have always been dead.
- "Heeeere's Johnny!" is a scary greeting from Jack Nicholson, not a warm welcome from Ed McMahon.
- The Energizer bunny has always been going and going and going.
- Large fine-print ads for prescription drugs have always appeared in magazines.
- Photographs have always been processed in an hour or less.
- They never got a chance to drink 7-Up Gold, Crystal Pepsi, or Apple Slice.
- Baby Jessica could be a classmate.
- Parents may have been reading "The Bourne Supremacy" or "It" as they rocked them in their cradles.
- Alan Greenspan has always been setting the nation's financial direction.
- The U.S.has always been a Prozac nation.
- They have always enjoyed the comfort of pleather.
- Harry has always known Sally.
- They never saw Roseanne Roseannadanna live on "Saturday Night Live."
- There has always been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- They never ate a McSub at McD's.
- There has always been a Comedy Channel.
- Bill and Ted have always been on an excellent adventure.
- They were never tempted by smokeless cigarettes.
- Robert Downey, Jr. has always been in trouble.
- Martha Stewart has always been cooking up something with someone.
- They have always been comfortable with gay characters on television.
- Mike Tyson has always been a contender.
- The government has always been proposing we go to Mars, and it has always been deemed too expensive.
- There have never been any Playboy Clubs.
- There have always been night games at Wrigley Field.
- Rogaine has always been available for the follicularly challenged.
- They never saw USA Today or the Christian Science Monitor as a TV news program.
- Computers have always suffered from viruses.
- We have always been mapping the human genome.
- Politicians have always used rock music for theme songs.
- Network television has always struggled to keep up with cable.
- O'Hare has always been the most delay-plagued airport in the U.S.
- Ivan Boesky has never sold stock.
- Toll-free 800 phone numbers have always spelled out catchy phrases.
Bethlehem has never been a place of peace at Christmas. Episcopal women bishops have always threatened the foundation of the Anglican Church.
Svelte Oprah has always dominated afternoon television; who was Phil Donahue anyway?
- They never flew on People Express.
- AZT has always been used to treat AIDS.
- The international community has always been installing or removing the leader of Haiti.
- Oliver North has always been a talk show host and news commentator.
- They have suffered through airport security systems since they were in strollers.
- They have done most of their search for the right college online.
- Aspirin has always been used to reduce the risk of a heart attack.
- They were spared the TV ads for Zamfir and his panpipes.
- Castro has always been an aging politician in a suit.
- There have always been non-stop flights around the world without refueling.
Cher hasn't aged a day.
M.A.S.H. was a game: Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House.