Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Thanks to Prof. Doug Miller at Temple University, here's a list of potentially useful links:
- Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed. 2001.
The Encyclopedia of World History, 6th ed. 2001.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, 3rd ed. 2002.
The Columbia Gazetteer of North America. 2000.
The World Factbook. 2003.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th ed. 2000.
- Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus, 3rd ed. 1995.
Roget’s International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases. 1922
- Bartlett, John. 1919. Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
The Columbia World of Quotations. 1996.
Simpson’s Contemporary Quotations. 1988.
- Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989.
- American Heritage® Book of English Usage. 1996
The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.
- Fowler, H. W. 1908. The King’s English, 2nd ed.
- Mencken, H.L. 1921. The American Language: An Inquiry into the Development of English in the United States, 2nd ed.
- Quiller-Couch, Sir Arthur. 1916. On the Art of Writing.
- Quiller-Couch, Sir Arthur. 1920. On the Art of Reading.
Sapir, Edward. 1921. Language: An Introduction to the Study of Speech.
Strunk, William, Jr. 1918. The Elements of Style.