Wednesday, December 6, 2017
From Attorney at Work, here is Bob Denney’s annual report on what’s hot and what’s not:
PRACTICE AREAS/INDUSTRY GROUPS
(Note: Four years ago we first reported that a few firms were restructuring their practice into industry groups containing multiple practice areas. This trend has continued.)
- Health Care, regardless of what has happened to the Affordable Care Act.
- Immigration, regardless of what policies the Trump administration pursues.
- Will continue to be the No. 1 issue for both in-house counsel and consumers.
- Financial Services. The economy will continue to strengthen. This will fuel almost every area of financial services including IPOs and mergers & acquisitions.
- Food & Beveragedue to continued increases in labeling, ingredient and testing requirements.
- Bitcoinsfor those firms that have or develop the expertise.
- Elder Law.Increasing in scope, as we have been reporting.
- Particularly contracts.
- Real Estate & Construction, both residential and commercial, in most parts of the country.
- Other Sports, including eSports and gaming.
- Commercial Litigation. The number of cases, and therefore the profitability, in most large and midsize firms continues to decrease although there are exceptions. However, as we reported in our Midyear Update, there are reports that litigation funding is regaining strength
- Labor & Employment,separate from immigration.
For more, please click here.