Monday, August 19, 2013
Beloit College has released its mindset list describing the
culture of the incoming college frosh (our future students). Here are 10 entries:
- They should keep their eyes open for Justin Bieber or Dakota Fanning at freshman orientation.
- They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of “electronic narcotics.”
- The Biblical sources of terms such as “Forbidden Fruit,” “The writing on the wall,” “Good
Samaritan,” and “The Promised Land” are unknown to most of them.
- Michael Jackson’s family, not the Kennedys, constitutes “American Royalty.”
- If they miss The Daily Show, they can always get their news on YouTube.
- Their lives have been measured in the fundamental particles of life: bits, bytes, and bauds.
- Robert De Niro is thought of as Greg Focker's long-suffering father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone or Jimmy Conway.
- Bill Clinton is a senior statesman of whose presidency they have little knowledge.
- They have never seen an airplane “ticket.”
- On TV and in films, the ditzy dumb blonde female generally has been replaced by a couple of Dumb and Dumber males.
You can read the rest here.