Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Professor Gina Barreca offers her advice:
1. No more late-night movies or TV.
2. Decide what you are having for lunch for the next 15 weeks. Wouldn’t it be great if you could really do that?
3. Wash, shave, dye, groom, shine, and polish. I did a bunch of posts a while back about what students find more distracting and disturbing about their instructors and it can be boiled down to this: If we look like slobs, or weirdos, or carnies, they won’t listen to us because they’re spending all their time looking at us.
4. Finish your review, conference proposal, article, story, poem, or magnum opus NOW. That’s what you planned to do over break, wasn’t it?
5. Remember that by the time this semester is over, there will be new leaves on the trees, real warmth in the air, and that several of your students will be graduating.
#1 is the advice I need to take. Those TCM movies that start at 10p.m. (e.s.t.) are a real temptation.