Monday, September 19, 2011
Then you may be interested in the "New Directions" program at Pace Law School which is designed to help attorneys return to practice after an extended absence as well as help those who have never practiced develop their legal chops. Here's a brief description of the program followed by enrollment information for the next session which will begin in January.
From the New Directions website:
Are you an attorney who has taken a leave from practice or never practiced? Would you like to return to the practice of law, or an alternative legal career, but you’re not sure how or where to begin? Would you like to bring your legal skills up to speed, learn and practice on-line legal research, develop a resume, refresh your interviewing skills? Would you like to obtain a current practical legal experience and, as a result, develop a current writing sample, references, and networking contacts?
Pace Law School has developed a unique and innovative program, New Directions, to give lawyers the substantive law updates, professional skills and practical experience they need to return to the legal marketplace, either as practicing attorneys or professionals working in alternative legal careers.
- Comprehensive program consisting of practical legal skills, a substantive law curriculum and career guidance
- Externship with sponsor organization which provides practical experience, supervision and mentoring
- Diverse curriculum covering a wide range of practice areas
- A specially tailored legal research and writing course
- Individualized career counseling and guidance
- Substantive and career-related reading materials and resources
- Assistance with preparation of job-seeking tools, including creation of a resume and cover letter
- Enhancement of job-seeking skills, including preparation for interviews through, among other things, mock interviews
- Instruction in classes earning over 24 New York State CLE credits
- An unlimited number of additional CLE classes through Pace Law CCLE at no extra cost for one year from the first day of the Session
- Networking within the legal community
- Access to job postings during the program and for an additional three months after completion of the program.
New Directions is accepting applications for the upcoming session, which (tentatively) runs from January 17 – June 29, 2012. The deadline to apply is December 1, 2011. Pace will be hosting two information sessions in advance of the deadline. They are:
October 20, 6-8 p.m., Gerber Glass Lounge (3rd floor), Pace Law School, 78 North Broadway, White Plains, NY. RSVP by October 12, firstname.lastname@example.org
November 18, noon-2 p.m., Pace Midtown Center, Room 811, 551 Fifth Ave., New York, NY. RSVP by November 11, email@example.com