Thursday, June 23, 2011
10 Ways to Avoid Malpractice Claims
Over at Attorney at Work, practice management consultant Dan Pinnington suggests 10 way to avoid malpractice claims. His big advice is to get things done on time and have good communications with your client. Here is a summary of his advice:
1. Get it in writing. (the terms of engagement)
2. Get the money up front.
3. Manage client expectations.
4. Document, document, document.
5. Meet or beat deadlines.
6. Don’t annoy clients.
7. Ask how you’re doing.
8. Send interim and final reporting letters.
9. Don’t sue for fees. This almost guarantees a counterclaim for negligence.
10. Listen to your gut.