Thursday, May 19, 2011
From the Oakland County (Michigan) Daily Tribune:
A federal lawsuit will be filed against the American Bar Association on behalf of a blind man arguing the required Law School Admissions Test is biased against the visually impaired and should not be required of blind law school applicants.Binno, 28, is a Wayne State University graduate who worked for two years for Homeland Security and was awarded a high security clearance.
The suit will be filed on May 24 in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Attorney Richard Bernstein said.
Bernstein, who is blind, was the last law student to be admitted to law school 15 years ago without taking the LSAT.
The suit is being filed on behalf of Angello Binno, 28, of West Bloomfield, who was born blind.
He has been denied admission to law school five times because of his LSAT scores. His latest rejection was April 28 by the University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law. Previously, he was denied admission to the Thomas Cooley Law School, Wayne State University Law School and two other times at UD-Mercy, he said.
“All I want to do is attend law school and some day work in the area of civil rights,” said Binno.
Bernstein said Tueday that the test, which costs $139 to take and is administered by the Law School Admissions Council of Newton, Pa., discriminates against the visually impaired because it requires testers to draw diagrams and charts, something inherently discriminatory against a blind person who cannot conceive of or perceive spatial relationships.
You can read more here.
Hat tip to Above the Law.