Sunday, March 6, 2011
Networking can be uncomfortable, particularly for those of us on the shy side. Still, a lawyer must build connections in order to build and maintain a practice. Here, from consultant Kimberly Alford Rice, are some tips.
1. Even when you are a guest, behave like a host. Make introductions. Show people around the room.
2. Offer advice and assistance whenever possible.
3. Listen actively to others so you learn how you can help them.
4. Develop “icebreaker” questions in advance.
5. Before you arrive, make it a goal to meet and talk with a certain number of people.