Tuesday, December 31, 2013
A seventeen-year-old boy, along with a group of his friends, broke into the former Ladd Center in the Town of Exeter in a search for ghosts.
It was closed in 1994 and has "no trespassing" signs posted.
Instead of finding what the court whimsically called "things that go bump in the night," the group encountered four bottles of what turned out to be sulfuric acid.
The boy was severely burned when one of the bottles broke.
He sued the State of Rhode Island on a theory of attractive nuisance. He lost at trial.
He also lost on appeal to the Rhode Island Supreme Court. (Mike Frisch)