Monday, March 12, 2007

Error 85010004 - Active Sync

As a favor to professors and lawyers everywhere, let me know, or post a comment if you have encountered this problem over the last couple days.

To update a Windows Mobile 5.0 device (like my Motorola Q from Verizon) with the Daylight Savings Time patch from Microsoft, you had to download ActiveSync 4.5.  If (a) you downloaded ActiveSync 4.5 and installed it on your device, and (b) you sync the device through Microsoft Outlook 2003 to a Microsoft Exchange Server (i.e., where many large institutions like universities and law firms keep all your data), you find that you can no longer sync your calendar, contacts, etc. between the two.

I just spent ninety minutes over at the tech support center trying to make it work, all to find, I think, that this is a problem with the university's program and not my device.   But I'm willing to do anything to help the IT people in exchange for the joy they have brought to my life on so many occasions.

[Jeff Lipshaw]

Hot Topics | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Error 85010004 - Active Sync:


This thread

would tend to confirm your suspicion that it needs system admin attention at the Exchange end. My hypothesis is that the timezone update has broken the SSL certificate stored in the phone by ActiveSync and now it can't be used to encrypt the traffic, and Windows Mobile refuses to send unencrypted traffic. You will probably need help in generating a new certificate for your Tulane mail account and installing it on the phone.

One thing that is worth trying, in case the update has just cleared the 'require SSL' setting, is this, taken from

-- cut ---------------------------------------------------------------
HTTP_403 85010004 : A forbidden HTTP communication or protocol was used.
- OR -
Your account does not have permission to sync with your current settings. Contact your Microsoft Exchange administrator. Remove the item from the synchronization list.

1. The Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync virtual directory on your server is configured to require SSL and you are using a device without SSL.
2. The Exchange virtual directory on your mailbox server is configured to require SSL.
3. This error could occur if host headers are being used and the request goes to the wrong Web site.

1. a. On your Pocket PC 2003-based device, click Start, ActiveSync, Tools, Options, Server and check the box “This server uses an SSL connection”.
2. On your Smartphone 2003-based device, click Start, ActiveSync, Menu, Options, Server Settings, Connection and check the box “This server uses an SSL connection”.
3. Verify that host headers are configured correctly.
The last one (host headers) is probably irrelevant, but it should be worth checking the SSL status. If that doesn't work, it's down to your Exchange guys, I suspect.

Posted by: Simon Pride | Mar 12, 2007 12:27:55 PM

Please make sure you unchecked this option.
Under settings choose connections.
Manage exist connections.
Proxy settings.uncheck use this proxy connect to server.

Posted by: Xiaoyu Wang | Nov 5, 2008 1:37:37 AM

Thanks for pointing that out! I guess I got carried away with the simplicity. The post has been updated.

Posted by: Wildcard SSL Certificate | Feb 2, 2011 4:18:12 AM

Post a comment