November 20, 2012
A Q&A on Secession
It isn't just Texans messing with Texans on the We Petition site. Sarah Randag reports that the White House received secession petitions from all 50 states last week on ABAJ News. Her story also called attention to Eugene Volokh's Sucession post. Questions asked and answered by Volokh:
- Is It a Good Idea for Some States to Secede from the U.S.?
- Do States Have a Legal Right to Secede on Demand?
- Is It Legally Possible for States to Secede?
- Is It Treason for People to Call for Secession?
- May People Who Call for Secession Be Deported?
Does the Republican Party want to lose a Red State? That's like asking would the Republican Party not put up a fight against admitting Puerto Rico (read Blue State) to the union if that matter was given serious consideration.
End note. I haven't checked to see if the Congressional Research Service has recently covered the topic of sucession from the union in one of its reports. If not, will it? Can mere tax-paying citizens petition the White House to ask the in-house congressional research wing to issue one? Don't think so... . [JH]