May 14, 2012
Welcome to the Blogosphere, The CRIV Blog
And the recently launched The CRIV Blog [RSS post feed] is not restricted to being contained within the walled garden of typical AALL official web communication platforms. It is open for all to read and includes the ability to comment on blog posts [RSS comments feed].
Here's CRIV's "Hello World" post:
Why a CRIV Blog and why now?
1. Much of the discussion about the relationship between information vendors and law librarians happens online. CRIV wants to be part of that conversation.
2. The CRIV Sheet is published only 3 times a year and so can only be distantly reactive at best. The CRIV Blog can respond quickly as events unfold and can get information out much more quickly.
3. Print (e.g. The CRIV Sheet) is a one way medium. The CRIV Blog is two way (please comment on our posts).
4. The CRIV Blog has been in the works for a long time. CRIV leaders past and present have advocated the establishment of a CRIV blog. We finally made it happen.
5. Issues relating to the relationships between librarians and information vendors are more important now than ever. Let’s talk about it!
While some of the first posts displayed above the fold if you visit the blog right now are republication of May 2012 CRIV Sheet articles (and there is nothing wrong with that because that allows search engines to find them easily unlike, well, you know...), The CRIV Blog also is reporting on news and developments as well as on some CRIV activities. For example, I learned that CRIV is hosting a roundtable on eBooks in Boston. Details here.
Congratulations to the members of CRIV! A blog does take a fair amount of work and will take regular publication of posts covering topics of interest in a timely manner to acquire and retain an audience. So far, so good. [JH]