November 14, 2011
Opening: Editor for AALL's Price Index for Legal Publications
From the Nov. 9, 2011 announcement posted on AALL. The deadline for applying is Dec. 5, 2011.
Job Description: The American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) seeks an Editor for its annual publication, Price Index for Legal Publications (PILP). The editor will work with the PILP Committee to produce an annual Index. AALL publishes PILP as a service to its members and for other purposes. The Index measures the year-to-year changes in average prices for specific legal information products. The editor will work as a paid, part-time independent contractor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishes, in consultation with the committee, the categories of material to be included in the Index.
- Applies price data definitions and categories to develop a meaningful presentation of legal materials pricing.
- Identifies and analyzes apparent irregularities in the data, and works to address the issue(s).
- Works with the committee to determine any necessary revisions to the lists and or categories of price data.
- Produces, summarizes and generates numerical reports regarding legal information prices and price trends.
- Communicates regularly with the committee regarding the production of the Index.
- Offers process improvement suggestions and other constructive feedback to the committee. Maintains records and documentation to facilitate the continuity of the Index.
- Participates in committee meetings, and other discussions related to the production of the Index.
- Produces each year’s PLIP by June 1, and is available to complete the bulk of the editorial duties during the months February through May.
- Notes: Telecommuting is allowed.
- Five or more years of experience as a professional law librarian, including exposure to technical services, collection development, acquisitions, or legal information pricing conventions.
- Well-developed numerical data manipulation abilities, including experience applying intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Access.
- Working knowledge of price index concepts.
- Attention to detail.
- Member of AALL.
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter, to Kate Hagan, Executive Director, American Association of Law Libraries, at khagan(at)aall.org or 105 W. Adams, Suite 3300, Chicago, IL 60603. To ensure full consideration of your application, it must be received no later than December 5, 2011. Contract period begins no later than February 1, 2012.