August 12, 2011
Opening: Business Development & Research Specialist, Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP
Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP, one of the Rocky Mountain region’s most prominent law firms, enjoys a strong national reputation for its corporate finance, natural resources and energy law practices, with emphasis on securities and M&A transactions, complex commercial litigation and regulatory guidance. We are seeking a Business Development & Research Specialist to support the firm’s business development and marketing initiatives.
The Business Development & Research Specialist will report to the firm’s Director of Business Development and will leverage their research, writing & cataloguing skills to accomplish select tasks and projects, including:
- Writing and editing marketing materials, including information on capabilities, experience and solutions, seminar descriptions, attorney profiles, pitch materials, client alerts, case studies, website features, directory submissions, press releases, and other special projects;
- Serving as the staff point person in preparing proposals and responses to information requests, including coordinating with attorneys and other administrative departments, performing research as necessary, drafting and editing materials, assembling, proofing and distributing final proposals, and tracking results and lessons learned;
- Assisting with customization of marketing materials and PowerPoint presentations for current and prospective client meetings, pitches and proposals;
- Researching, analyzing and summarizing information on clients, companies, business sectors, technologies, and legal trends to assist in firm, practice group and individual business development efforts;
- Researching venues, trade organizations, community boards, publications and mailing lists appropriate for targeted marketing opportunities;
- Compiling, tagging, cataloguing and maintaining up-to-date marketing materials and component content, including polished summaries of the firm’s industry specific expertise and representative work;
- Proactively soliciting attorneys and others for information and representative experience to be used in the firm’s marketing materials; and
- Writing and editing internal communications when needed using email, newsletter, and intranet resources.
The position requires a minimum of seven years of business research and writing experience, preferably within a law firm or professional services environment. This could be a good opportunity for an attorney or law librarian looking to make a career change.
The successful candidate will:
- Understand the law firm business model, the services provided by a major corporate law firm and the needs and expectations of law firm clients;
- Demonstrate an ability to learn and effectively convey technical information regarding legal subjects, developments and trends;
- Leverage excellent writing and editing experience to prepare marketing materials in a professional services environment with minimal need for revision;
- Apply solid knowledge of legal and business information resources, such as Lexis/Nexis, Westlaw, Factiva, Hoover’s, ALM Research, Lexis AtVantage, PACER and others;
- Take initiative and ownership of projects, using free time to audit, evaluate and suggest additions, edits and improvements to current materials and systems;
- Display a highly curious and resourceful personality combined with perseverance, patience and a desire to deliver accurate, high-value products; and
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, with strong skills in verbal communication, organization, project management, prioritization and dealing with ambiguity.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter (with salary history and requirements), resume, and three references to business.development(at)dgslaw.com. Two writing samples (one of which should be a redacted client-facing piece) will be requested prior to on-site interviews.
No agencies or phone calls please.