May 12, 2011
Opening: Assistant Director for Technical Services, Univ. of Maryland School of Law, Thurgood Marshall Law Library
The University of Maryland School of Law, Thurgood Marshall Law Library seeks a highly motivated, creative, entrepreneurial professional to serve on the library's administrative team and participate in the overall management and coordination of the Technical Services Department. The Law Library, located on the campus of the University of Maryland Baltimore, is a vibrant institution dedicated to supporting the research and scholarship of the faculty and students of the School of Law. The library staff is committed to exploring and implementing innovative technological solutions to promote and enhance library services to the law school community.
The staff of the Technical Services Department is responsible for a wide variety of activities ranging from those traditionally associated with technical services including acquisitions, serials, cataloging and metadata creation as well as an array of outreach services including copyright clearance, digital archiving, resource sharing, and scholarly communications. The Department has developed and manages an extensive institutional repository featuring faculty publications, special digital collections, and online journals.
The position is a 12-month library faculty appointment. The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for permanent status and promotion.
Responsibilities: The Assistant Director for Technical Services reports to the Associate Director for Technical Services & Administration and collaborates on establishing policies, standards, and goals for the department; performs tasks that require advanced knowledge and technical proficiency; and in collaboration with members of the library faculty, provides a wide range of outreach and research services to the law school community.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of acquisitions/serials, cataloging, processing, and metadata creation for library materials in multiple formats;
- Oversees the library's integrated library system which is hosted at the University of Maryland, College Park;
- Represents the library within the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions on issues dealing with technical services and electronic resources;
- Performs complex cataloging functions (in all languages and in all formats) in accordance with accepted national standards;
- Coordinates the licensing, procurement, management and assessment of electronic resources;
- Develops and manages digital collections;
- Assists with the development of the institutional repository, including copyright clearance;
- Administers the federal depository program;
- Collaborates in enhancing the role of the library in scholarly communication;
- Provides reference services to faculty.
Minimum Qualifications: ALA accredited masters degree in library or information science or its equivalent. Preferred subject masters degree or JD; Minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible library experience with a minimum of 3 years of experience in technical services. Prefer experience in an academic law library environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of overall technical services operations;
- Familiarity with integrated library systems;
- Thorough knowledge of standard cataloging principles, metadata schemas, and strategies for implementation of RDA;
- Experience in managing and organizing electronic resources and in negotiating licenses;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong service orientation and outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with vendors, publishers, and content providers;
- Familiarity with the Ex Libris suite of functions (Aleph, SFX, Metalib);
- Experience with collection management, special collections and archives, and preservation and conservation of library materials;
- Familiarity with network and consortial opportunities related to technical services;
- Understanding of current and emerging trends in library and information services;
Salary and Benefits: Salary is competitive and is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
Application Deadline: May 27, 2011
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit electronically a cover letter, resume and the name and phone number of three references to LAW-HR(at)law.umaryland.edu, with subject line: Asst Dir Technical Services, or mail to :
Mary Alice Hohing
Director, Administration & Operations
University of Maryland School of Law
500 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-1786
The University of Maryland is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.