January 13, 2011
Opening: Research Librarian, DLA Piper, LA Office
DLA Piper is currently seeking a Research Librarian to be based in the Los Angeles office. Under the supervision of the Manager of Library Research Services, this position works with a national team of research librarians to support the research needs of DLA staff and attorneys firmwide. Provides in-depth, accurate and efficient business and legal research utilizing a variety of sophisticated electronic resources. Able to quickly evaluate all research inquiries to determine the best methods and resources necessary to complete each request. Prioritizes requests, analyzes results, compiles an answer and communicates research findings in a clear and concise manner. Typically performs administrative tasks such as training and outreach at the local office level.
- Conducts in depth research and/or fact-checking in a wide range of topical areas including, but not limited to, legal, business/corporate, patent and IP, public records, legislative history, medical and news/media.
- Uses critical thinking to analyze each request and identify the best research resources for efficient and cost-effective resolution.
- Assists with the training of attorneys and staff on the effective use of legal and business research resources.
- Conducts local office orientations for new hires. Explains the operations of the research department. Promotes library services and resources.
- Participates in the regular review and evaluation of new and existing electronic resources with an eye toward improved service and research efficiencies.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuing education by attending workshops and webinars for professional development and regular review of professional literature.
- Complies with departmental statistical and reporting requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires a Masters degree in Library/Information Science (current enrollment in a MLS program will be considered). Possession of an additional, relevant advanced degree will also be considered. Must have strong facility with a variety of electronic resources including, Lexis, Westlaw and Westlaw Business, Courtlink, Dun & Bradstreet and others. Past law firm experience is a definite plus.
Excellent organizational skills required to manage a variety of complex projects with tight deadlines. Ability to work with varying levels of employees, paralegals, attorneys and vendors with a focus towards customer satisfaction. Strong analytical and problem solving skills required to resolve complex issues using technology. Must be able to handle high stress situations and deal successfully with conflict. Must be able to exercise sound independent judgment.
DLA Piper provides its employees with highly competitive salaries and benefits, including eligibility for year-end bonuses, profit sharing eligibility, a generous paid-time-off policy and a 401k plan. Employees are recognized and rewarded for their achievements through annual performance evaluations and salary reviews. The firm encourages ongoing personal development and supports a healthy work/life balance.
Please apply online: http://www.dlapiper.com.
DLA Piper is an EEO/AA employer-M/F/D/V