October 23, 2008
Opening: Technical Services/Reference Librarian, Texas Legislative Reference Library
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Primary responsibilities include serials management, cataloging, and reference. As a member of the Legislative Reference Library team, serves as an information consultant to legislative staff, state agency staff, and the general public.
- Coordinates and manages serials using library's automation system.
- Provides reference assistance in person and over the telephone.
- Performs original and complex cataloging of library materials in all subject areas and in all formats, utilizing AngloAmerican Cataloging Rules, Dewey Decimal Classification, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and USMARC.
- Conducts in-depth library reference/research using primary and secondary sources.
- Indexes and catalogs legislative documents and library materials.
- Serves as claims coordinator for library and for serials jobber.
- Reviews journals and internet sites to select appropriate articles for current awareness service.
- Coordinates maintenance of library collection.
- Assists with training library assistants.
- Works extensive evening and weekend hours during legislative session.
- Assist in developing new library services.
- Assist in developing manual and online research aids.
- May assist with library acquisitions and database maintenance.
- May supervise library assistants.
- Master's degree from a library school accredited by the American Library Association.
- Knowledge of current cataloging and classification standards (Anglo American Cataloging Rules, Library of Congress
- Subject Headings, Dewey Decimal and/or Library of Congress classification).
- Knowledge of MARC record formats.
- Experience with one or more library automation systems.
- Experience providing reference services.
- Experience searching LEXIS/NEXIS.
- Basic knowledge of legislative process and/or legal research materials.
- Experience in original cataloging.
- Experience with OCLC for cataloging.
- Experience in cataloging or serials management of government publications or technical reports.
- Experience in library technical services areas of cataloging, serials, acquisitions or database maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of Texas state government and the Texas legislative process.
- Knowledge of Texas Documents Classification Scheme
To apply, mail or fax a completed State of Texas Application for Employment, resume, and letter of interest to Donald Brower at the Legislative Reference Library. Applications may be found at http://www.workintexas.com.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Opening: Technical Services/Reference Librarian, Texas Legislative Reference Library :