July 13, 2007
Opening: Reference Librarian, Santa Clara University School of Law Heafey Law Library
Santa Clara University, a private Jesuit Institution, invites applications for the following position in the Heafey Law Library: REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
The Santa Clara University School of Law Heafey Law Library has an opening for the position of Reference Librarian. The successful candidate will be service oriented and have experience with both traditional and electronic legal materials; knowledge of windows based computers, operating systems, and applications in a Novell networked environment. This position requires participation in the University's commitment to service and will involve some weekend and evening hours.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Director of Public Services, the Reference Librarian is responsible for providing reference services to law school faculty, students, and staff as well as courtesy card users of the law library. This position involves some evening hours. All librarians rotate weekend reference shifts, and participate in collection development. There is also opportunity to teach Advanced Legal Research as part of the law school curriculum.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides reference services to law school faculty, students and staff as well as attorney patrons
- Provides faculty research assistance through the Faculty Liaison program; assists faculty with online research, interlibrary loans and other research projects as needed and update assigned faculty members’ bibliographies on the web.
- Coordinates the 1L Lexis and Westlaw training and oversees password distribution and maintenance, working with Lexis and Westlaw reps, LARAW instructors and students.
- Serves as the primary liaison with Lexis and Westlaw academic reps, their student reps and equipment technicians.
- Provides formal and informal training to students, in the areas of bibliographic instruction, online database searching and legal research.
- Serves as the department back-up for Inter-Library Loan services.
- Creates subject specific library user guides and bibliographies.
- Participates in collection development and library-wide activities.
- Conducts library tours as requested.
- Other projects and duties as required.
- M.L.S. from ALA accredited library school;
- J.D. from ABA accredited law school;
- Excellent communications skills;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- 1-3 years professional experience;
- Knowledge of Innovative Interfaces system;
- Knowledge of internet and computers;
- Knowledge of web-based reference sources.
SALARY & RANK: Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Support for continuing professional education will be provided.
AVAILABILITY: Immediately. Applications accepted until position is filled.
To apply, send resume, cover letter, and names, addresses and phone numbers for 3 references to:
Heafey Law Library
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053-0430
Founded in 1851, Santa Clara University is California's first institution of higher learning and has a strong Jesuit, Catholic tradition. The 103-acre campus is in the heart of the Silicon Valley, 46 miles south of San Francisco, and serves as an environment of growth and opportunity for approximately 7700 students and 1200 faculty and staff members. Santa Clara University offers competitive salaries and benefits including tuition remission for employees and dependents upon completion of eligibility requirements. For more information about the law school check the web site at www.scu.edu/law.
Santa Clara University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to Excellence through Diversity, and, in this spirit, welcomes applications from all persons including women, persons or color, and members of other under-represented groups.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Opening: Reference Librarian, Santa Clara University School of Law Heafey Law Library :