September 8, 2006
Opening: Law Library Director, Golden State
Golden Gate University School of Law invites applications for the position of Director of the Law Library. Founded in 1901, Golden Gate University School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State of California and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. The Law Library has eight full time librarians, seven full time staff members, and three part time technology assistants. It contains over 340,000 volumes and subscribes to more than 1,200 legal periodicals and journals. In addition to a comprehensive collection of general law books, the Law Library collection includes special sections on tax law, law and literature, and international law with a concentration in Pacific Rim materials.
- Manages the law library. In particular, the Director oversees and is responsible for all aspects of library administration, including: hiring, training and supervising library staff; collection development; budgeting; technological development; and strategic planning.
- Oversees the ongoing renovation of the Law Library. The library, which currently occupies two floors, will be expanding onto a third floor. The Director will be responsible for the smooth and successful renovation of the new space.
- Monitors the programs and services of the Library, and ensures that they are sufficient to meet the needs of students, faculty, and the Bar.
- Ensures the Law Library continues to meet all applicable accreditation standards and AALS membership requirements.
Required Qualifications: Applicants must have a law degree from an ABA-accredited law school, a graduate degree in library science (or its equivalent) from an ALA-accredited institution, and significant administrative experience in a law library.
- Ability to work collaboratively with library staff, faculty, and patrons;
- Thorough knowledge of both California and federal legal materials;
- Skilled in searching both print and online materials (like Lexis, Westlaw, Hein);
- Willingness to be an advocate for the library;
- Strong communication skills.
To Apply: Letters of application should be sent to Professor Cliff Rechtschaffen, Chair, Faculty Appointments Committee, Golden Gate University School of Law , 536 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94105 or by email to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until the position is filled.
The Law School is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to diversifying its faculty and staff.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Opening: Law Library Director, Golden State: