July 20, 2006
Opening: Automation Librarian (New Position) GPO
Library Technical Information Services, U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) is pleased to announce the opening of a Lead Librarian (Automation) position.
Below is a basic outline of the position, for complete details including qualifications needed and how to submit an application, please see the official PDF of the posting on the GPO Job Search web page at http://www.gpo.gov/careers/jobs/06-446.pdf .
Announcement Number: 06-446
Position Title: Lead Librarian (Automation)
Series and Grade: PG-1410-13
Salary Range: $77,353 - $100,554 PA
Closing Date: 08/08/06
Location of Position: Library Services and Content Management
Library Technical Information Services
Library Technical Services Support, Washington, DC
Number of Openings: One
Type of Appointment: Permanent (Career or Career-Conditional)
Work Schedule: Full-time (Shift 1)
Who May Apply: All U.S. Citizens
The incumbent serves as the Library Technical Services Support Librarian performing a variety of professional level duties in support of Library Technical Information Services (LTIS), Information Dissemination (ID), and the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP). Serves as the team leader of the automation team managing projects while working to ensure the team is meeting priorities, milestones and levels of quality. Leads the automation team in managing the Aleph 500 integrated library system (ILS) and other purchased Ex Libris products. Activities include but are not limited to
table management and configuration for the Aleph client; customization of the Web OPAC interface and MetaLib; technical support, and cooperation with systems integrator and vendor in system administration and in implementing software upgrades; and the application of service packs. The incumbent takes the lead in planning for the implementation of enhanced features, improvements in functionality, or additional modules of the ILS. Participates in team planning projects involving use of or integration with the ILS. Plans for migration of data from GPO mainframe legacy systems to the ILS. Develops and provides training on ILS functionality to GPO staff as well as to depository libraries and the public. Makes presentations as the technical expert on ILS functionality to all levels of management within GPO, and to depository libraries and the public at meetings and conferences. Performs other related duties as assigned.
If the qualifications described in the job posting (http://www.gpo.gov/careers/jobs/06-446.pdf) are met, further evaluation will be based on narrative responses to each knowledge, skill, ability and other characteristic (KSAO) listed in the job posting. Narrative responses should explain how experience, education, training, awards and appraisals demonstrate possession of each KSAO.
A separate narrative response statement for each KSAO must be submitted with the application package for it to be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities and Other Characteristics required for this position:
- Professional knowledge of the theories, principles and techniques of library and information science to accomplish the organization, storage, and retrieval of data and information using technology.
- Skill in configuring, administering, and customizing a multi-module ILS, particularly Ex Libris' Aleph 500 including the Web OPAC interface and the MetaLib federated searching product.
- Skill in oral communications to make effective presentations to all levels of management, to depository libraries and to the public, and to communicate with automation vendors and with staff at varying levels of technological understanding.
- Skill in written communications to write project plans, presentations, reports and engage in email communications.
- Skill in planning and project management to develop and implement enhanced features, improvements in functionality, or additional modules of the ILS as well as new products and services.
If, after reviewing the PDF of the job posting (http://www.gpo.gov/careers/jobs/06-446.pdf ), you still have need for additional information, please contact:
Valerie J. Tripp
Human Capital Operations
Phone: (202) 512-1178
TDD: (202) 512-1519
GPO is an equal employment opportunity employer.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Opening: Automation Librarian (New Position) GPO: