May 18, 2006
Opening: Faculty Services Library, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
The University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Barco Law Library is seeking a Faculty Services Librarian who will work closely with the Research and Educational Services Librarian in providing dynamic and proactive support to law school faculty. The successful candidate will serve as part of a team of reference librarians under the supervision of the Associate Director for Public Services. The Barco Law Library houses over 390,000 volumes and volume-equivalents and uses the Endeavor Voyager library system in cooperation with other campus libraries.
Specific duties include:
- Initiate and maintain regular contact with the Associate Dean for Research and the law school faculty to ascertain specific research interests and requirements and develop research profiles of faculty members pursuant to those interests.
- Meet regularly with the Associate Dean for Research to coordinate his/her activities in support of faculty research with library activities in support of faculty research, and to develop new initiatives for supporting faculty research.
- Provide current awareness services to faculty through monitoring of legal publications, new books, and other materials. Regularly report articles and books of potential interest to specific faculty members. The Faculty Services Librarian will provide both direct support to members of the faculty and support for the current awareness activities of other librarians through the faculty liaison program.
- Support electronic current awareness services including SmartCILP, WestClip, and Lexis Eclipse by providing training, profile support, and other assistance to faculty.
- Coordinate and administer the faculty liaison program with the other librarians.
- Participate in the collection development process with particular emphasis on identifying current and out-of-print resources that address needs identified by the faculty research profiles.
- Actively promote current awareness, library liaison and other research support programs to the faculty and with the Associate Dean for Research through one-on-one meetings, brown bag sessions, attendance at faculty lectures and programs, and development of promotional materials including interactive Intranet Webpages and Web forms.
- Provide general reference and research services to the faculty, students, and staff of the law school, to the University community, and to local attorneys and residents through sharing in the staffing of the reference desk. Some evening and weekend hours are to be expected.
- Establish and foster contacts with other professionals -- particularly those in faculty service positions -- and libraries by participating in committee work and activities of professional organizations.
- Participate in library staff development activities.
- Special projects and miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Qualifications: M.L.S. or J.D. from accredited programs required, both degrees preferred. At least two years of professional experience in a law library working directly with law faculty members or attorneys. Proficiency with print and electronic legal and interdisciplinary research resources. Must demonstrate a strong service orientation, ability to creatively and effectively respond to faculty and other patron needs, and ability to work as part of a team and with minimal supervision and direction. Excellent organizational and teaching skills, as well as oral and written communication skills are required.
Salary: Salary and faculty librarian rank are commensurate with experience. Benefits include dental, eye, and medical insurance options, TIAA-CREF or Vanguard retirement, University educational, and 23 days of vacation annually.
To apply, please send a letter of application, résumé, and the names of three references to:
University of Pittsburgh Barco Law Library
c/o Helen A. Jarosz,
405 Barco Law Building
3900 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Applications may also be submitted electronically to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Opening: Faculty Services Library, University of Pittsburgh School of Law: