October 19, 2005
Job Opening: Catalog Librarian, San Diego
Thomas Jefferson School of Law (TJSL) is an independent, non-profit law school located in San Diego, California. The TJSL Library is looking for a professional librarian to join the Library staff in the role of CATALOG LIBRARIAN.
The Catalog Librarian reports to the Director of Cataloging and Database Administration. This position is responsible for cataloging all of the Library's new acquisitions, and cataloging retrospectively materials not in the online catalog. The Catalog Librarian solves difficult bibliographic problems as they are brought to his/her attention, and works with the Director of Cataloging and Database Administration and Public Services staff to set cataloging policies that affect the online public access catalog. This position also performs all authority work necessary to support the headings used in the catalog and maintains the authority files. The Catalog Librarian is responsible for keeping current with the fields of cataloging, continuing and electronic resources, and library automation in general, and of Innovative Interfaces products in particular. The Catalog Librarian must have a demonstrated ability to learn complex procedures, excellent organizational, communication and computer skills, as well as being able to perform detailed work accurately. The duties will include, but not be limited to:
1. Perform original and complex copy cataloging of new Library acquisitions. This function includes creating, editing, and importing bibliographic, authority and item records using the OCLC system and the Library's ThomCat online catalog.
2. Perform authority work as necessary in order to support the headings in the catalog and maintain the authority files, through review of the Library of Congress Subject Headings Weekly Lists and regular Innovative headings reports.
3. Identify materials not in the online catalog, and perform retrospective cataloging as necessary.
4. Function as an internal service unit to Library staff, answering questions regarding classification and description of materials, and solving complex bibliographic problems as they arise.
5. Keep informed regarding developments in the areas of cataloging, continuing and electronic resources, and library automation through attendance at appropriate conferences, reading related journals, and subscription to related e-mail lists.
6. In consultation with the Director of Cataloging and Database Administration, develop and implement new and/or revised cataloging procedures.
7. In cooperation with the Director of Cataloging and Database Administration, develop and oversee special Cataloging Department projects.
8. Maintain a procedures manual for this position.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education required: ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent library/information science degree.
2. Experience required: One to three years of previous cataloging experience. Knowledge of AACR2, LC Classification, LCSH, and MARC formats. Excellent computer skills including the use of word processing, spreadsheet, Internet browser and e-mail programs.
3. Experience desired: Experience cataloging multiple bibliographic formats, including at least some original record creation and complex copy cataloging. Experience cataloging with an Innovative Interfaces library catalog and/or in a law library.
1. Able to sit and work at a computer workstation.
2. Able to lift 20 pounds, and to reach and move books from 90 inch high library shelving.
3. Able to load book trucks and able to maneuver loaded book trucks either alone or with assistance from other library staff members.
Full time, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
TJSL benefits include 20 vacation days, 12 holidays, and 6 sick days per year; medical, dental, life and long-term disability plans; and a 401(K) plan. The salary range is $35,000-$40,000. Thomas Jefferson School of Law does not provide reimbursement for travel or relocation expenses.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send a cover letter, your resume, and contact information for three references, to:
Director of Cataloging and Database Administration
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
2121 San Diego Ave.
San Diego, CA 92110
fax: (619) 374-6394
Review of applications will begin Wedesnday, Oct. 12, 2005, and continue until the position is filled.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Job Opening: Catalog Librarian, San Diego: