September 5, 2005
AALL Career Development Program, Private Law Librarians Asked for Input
As many of you know, AALL will convene an Education Summit at the end of September to establish a career development program for AALL. The Private Law Libraries Special Interest Section needs to hear from private law librarians about what they want to see in such a program. It will be extremely helpful if you took the time to answer the following questions:
1. When you hear "continuing education for librarians," what comes to mind?
2. What topics should be covered in such programs? Experienced librarians - what kinds of training and education do you wish had been available over the course of your career, and what do you need at this time? If you supervise a library staff, what do you wish was available for them?
Newer librarians - coming into the profession, do you perceive gaps in your library school education and personal experience that could be filled by AALL?
3. Who should play a role in identifying needs, developing content and delivering career development programs? Local chapters? Special interest sections? Committees? The AALL executive board? AALL staff? Outside parties? Others (please specify)?
Are there opportunities you can think of where AALL could partner with other organizations to provide career development?
4. What kinds of formats would work in these programs? Live presentations (possibly broadcast to remote locations)? Web seminars? E-courses, similar to what is offered by many library schools? Internships or a more formal mentoring program? Articles? Blogs? Other formats (please specify)?
5. What about the costs of such programs? Would your employer be willing to pay a registration or subscription fee? Should vendors be welcome to underwrite some programs? Would you be willing to "invest" personally in meaningful career development programs that could bring you greater job satisfaction and potentially, a higher income?
Thank you very much for participating in this dialogue
Legal Information Specialist
Brown Rudnick Berlack Israels
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference AALL Career Development Program, Private Law Librarians Asked for Input: