Monday, May 19, 2014
Columbia Law School’s Center for Climate Change Law (CCCL), established in 2009, develops legal techniques to fight climate change; analyzes legal developments in the field, both domestic and international; carries out original legal and policy research; creates and posts databases on climate-related laws; and has an active program of publications and conferences. CCCL works closely with the Law School’s Environmental Law Clinic and with the physical and social scientists at Columbia University’s Earth Institute. Further information about CCCL’s activities can be found at www.columbiaclimatelaw.com.
CCCL has now grown to the point that it is hiring a full-time Executive Director who will assist the faculty Director, Professor Michael B. Gerrard, in managing its operations. The position will involve activities that are substantive (e.g. researching and writing publications), managerial (e.g. overseeing CCCL staff), and a combination of both (e.g. guiding and editing the work of lawyers and interns).
• Supervise CCCL’s staff of junior lawyers (fellows)
• Oversee CCCL’s law student and undergraduate interns, including during CCCL’s summer program
• Recruit and help select junior lawyers and interns
• Oversee CCCL’s program of conferences and publications, as well as its social media platforms (blog, Facebook, Twitter)
• Lead CCCL’s strategic planning initiatives, including the preparation of annual strategic plans, funding reports, and periodic progress updates
• Work with CCCL’s visiting scholars from universities around the world to help them execute their research proposals
• Research and write publications
• Speak at conferences
• Guest teach classes
• Represent CCCL on various committees and working groups inside and outside the university
• Prepare grant proposals and otherwise work on fundraising activities
• Work to build new collaborations within Columbia and with local, national and international academic institutions, not-for-profit organizations and governments
• J.D. or LL.M. degree
• Substantial background in environmental or energy law
• A record of publications, preferably in both scholarly and popular outlets
• At least three years experience doing environmental or energy-related work in the academic, N.G.O., governmental or private sectors
• Experience managing other lawyers or interns
• Public speaking experience and ability
$120,000/year starting salary plus full benefits
Please send cover letter and C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
Michael B. Gerrard
Andrew Sabin Professor of Professional Practice
Director, Center for Climate Change Law
Columbia Law School
435 West 116th Street
New York, New York 10027
No calls, please.
The position will remain open until it is filled.
The position is also posted at the site below: