Thursday, August 4, 2011
Turns out we're in the middle of a national historic preservation controversy right here at University of Georgia. The University Architects' office has proposed to tear down Rutherford Hall, a women's dorm built in 1939. (Full disclosure - my husband used to work for the University Architect, and still does some space planning consulting for the University.) The University plans to build a bigger dorm, in a similar style, on the spot, citing the expense of rehabilitating the old building. Not surprising, historic preservaton advocates are not happy. Generaly, the University has a pretty good reputation of preserving older buildings on campus, and has won several awards for historic preservation, so I'm a bit surprised they're not being cut more slack on this. Now, the National Trust for Historic Preservation has weighed in, asking University President Michael Adams to save the building. It will be interesting to see how this turns out now that it's getting national attention.
Jamie Baker Roskie
This blog is an Amazon affiliate. Help support Land Use Prof Blog by making purchases through Amazon links on this site at no cost to you.
- Stephen R. Miller on Why are building inspectors so often on the take?
- Josh Hightree on What makes people leave rural areas, and what makes them stay
- Jessica Shoemaker on What makes people leave rural areas, and what makes them stay
- Jamie Baker Roskie on Why are building inspectors so often on the take?
- Stephen R. Miller on What makes people leave rural areas, and what makes them stay
- Water Down Under: A Report from Australia by Barbara Cosens: Post 5: Indigenous Rights to Water and Capacity Building
- Land Use Law-Related Articles Posted on SSRN in February
- March 4-6: Stanford 2015 Rural West Conference: Preservation and Transformation: The Future of the Rural West
- March 3 - J.B. Ruhl to deliver Boehl Distinguished Lecture in Land Use Policy at U Louisville Law
- Is this blog post "advertising"? California's bar proposes bright-line rule for regulating attorney blogs