Monday, February 21, 2011
Long known (and deservedly so) as one of the most brutal dictators to ever live, Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe's sociopathic scourge of a president, also has a strong land use connection.
In particular, Mugabe has implemented a crony-based land redistribution policy since taking power decades ago that, rather than seeking to convey property to the poor Zimbabweans that he claims are the focus, actually redistributes most of the land to the country's corrupt elite.
I've used a discussion of his acts as the basis for an always interesting Property I discussion on land acquisition issues.
Now, there is a new tool that warrants watching if you are interested in these issues (or just a student of history and want to know more about the evil that is Robert Mugabe). It's called "Mugabe and the White African"--a documentary that is raking up a host of awards.
I watched it this afternoon and found it extremely compelling, especially from a land use and redistribution perspective.
This blog is an Amazon affiliate. Help support Land Use Prof Blog by making purchases through Amazon links on this site at no cost to you.
- Stephen Miller on New Arkansas law requires local governments to pay for a "takings" where certain "regulatory programs" reduce FMV by at least 20 percent
- Josh Galperin on New Arkansas law requires local governments to pay for a "takings" where certain "regulatory programs" reduce FMV by at least 20 percent
- Jesse Richardson on New Arkansas law requires local governments to pay for a "takings" where certain "regulatory programs" reduce FMV by at least 20 percent
- Jamie Baker Roskie on Uber Goes to the State House Seeking Preemption of Local Government Control
- Stephen R. Miller on Why are building inspectors so often on the take?
- Touro Law hosts First Annual Conference of the Land Use & Sustainable Development Law Institute
- Abstracts for 6th Annual Colloquium on Environmental Scholarship due May 1
- Space and the City - Special edition of The Economist
- Land Value Tax Redux
- USDOJ HUD housing enforcement attorney position