Tuesday, February 1, 2011
One of the advantages of teaching a first year Property course that totals 6 hours (over two semesters) is having a great deal of flexibility in course coverage (though, since we are changing to a one semester, 4 hour course, this flexibility is about to be foreclosed upon).
While I'm not a big proponent of showing videos in class (though the opening scene to Lord of the Rings is perfect for initial/subsequent acquisition issues and I'm a huge fan of Tom Metzloff's videos on Kelo and Lucas), during the land transaction/mortgage section of my Property course this semester, I did spend the time to share part of this video discussing the reasons behind the American mortgage crisis, including several of the key legal issues.
Previously, I used the video in my Land Planning and Development course but I've become convinced that it provides an important enough perspective to share with the first year course instead.
Of course, as we move to the 4 hour version of Property here at Faulkner, I'll likely have to use it in a different way. Nevertheless, for an interesting and well-produced primer on the mortgage crisis, I recommend this Four Corners option.
This blog is an Amazon affiliate. Help support Land Use Prof Blog by making purchases through Amazon links on this site at no cost to you.
- Jamie Baker Roskie on Uber Goes to the State House Seeking Preemption of Local Government Control
- Stephen R. Miller on Why are building inspectors so often on the take?
- Josh Hightree on What makes people leave rural areas, and what makes them stay
- Jessica Shoemaker on What makes people leave rural areas, and what makes them stay
- Jamie Baker Roskie on Why are building inspectors so often on the take?
- What to make of the fierce new debate over the efficacy of California's energy codes?
- The W&L Top 100 Law Review Rankings and the Land Use Law Scholar
- CFP: 2015 Future of Places Conference (lead-in to Habitat III) in Stockholm: Deadline of April 15
- Water Down Under: A Report from Australia by Barbara Cosens: Post 7: Conjunctive Management Down Under
- Interior unveils final rule governing fracking regulations on public lands