Monday, January 13, 2014
My former colleague at the NLRB, and current National Education Association staff counsel, Jason Walta, let me know that the NEA is hiring for staff counsel. You can get all the info here [Download OGC Staff Counsel 2014]. The basics:
NEA seeks an experienced attorney to join the team in the NEA Office of General Counsel. The NEA Office of General Counsel works on a diverse array of legal matters to advance NEA’s overall mission including litigation, regulatory and advocacy matters. . . . Applicants for the NEA Staff Counsel position should be interested in a position involving both substantial litigation and in house advice and counsel work. . . . [A]pplicants should be experienced and adept at resolving the array of legal issues that an in house counsel operation must handle, ranging from providing legal advice in ongoing organizing, legislative and coalition efforts, to resolving disputes with vendors and providing advice on contract terms and arrangements. We are looking for an experienced attorney who is interested in working collaboratively in a congenial environment to craft and pursue creative litigation and advocacy strategies to advance the interests of NEA and its members.
- J.D. from an accredited law school required.
- Six or more years of legal practice, including experience as a senior staff counsel, partner, or litigator.
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills including public speaking skills and appellate brief writing.
- Substantive knowledge of, and practice in, federal and state labor and employment law, federal and state constitutional law, and an ability to serve as a generalist providing advice and counsel on general operations matters as needed.
- Ability to perform complex legal analytical work.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Self-motivated and able to manage a variety of tasks concurrently.
- Demonstrated creativity in crafting innovative legal strategies to advance the interests of workers and their representatives.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing litigation independently and with expertise.
- Ability to collaborate and work in a collegial environment.
- Desire to participate as a key player in developing and litigating cases to move forward the cause of public education and the interests of NEA members and affiliates.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Healthy respect for colleagues, employees, and superiors.
- A sense of humor.
To Apply: Please forward a letter of interest in the NEA Staff Counsel position, your salary history or salary requirement, a resume and two recent significant writing samples to Kelli Brown at [email protected] or Kelli Brown, NEA Office of General Counsel, NEA, 1201 16th Street NW, Washington DC 20036. References are required of all candidates.
The National Education Association is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply.