Friday, August 21, 2015
The American Bar Association Section of International Law installed its new leadership earlier this month during the ABA Annual Meeting in Chicago.
Lisa is a Partner in the Axelrod Firm's Washington, DC office, where she handles international and domestic litigation and alternative dispute resolution, representing foreign and domestic companies in matters involving complex legal, regulatory, and technical issues. Much of her international work involves issues relating to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA), application of various treaties, jurisdictional challenges, the doctrine of forum non conveniens, and enforcement of foreign judgments. Her industry experience includes representing clients in the aviation, insurance, chemical, agriculture, and manufacturing sectors. Her work has included counseling clients on cross border litigation and application of law from both civil and common law jurisdictions. She has worked in Belize, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, England, Ethiopia, France, Greece, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Peru, Poland, Taiwan, and the Turks and Caicos Islands.
The new Chair-Elect is Sara P. Sandford (pictured right) of the law firm Garvey, Schubert & Barer in Seattle, Washington. She works with clients from around the world in all stages of establishing, acquiring, and operating businesses across borders. She concentrates her practice on representing Japanese companies and individuals in their business activities in the United States and on advising U.S. clients concerning business activities in Japan, Canada, and other Pacific Rim countries. In this U.S.-Japan context, she has worked with clients in various stages of joint ventures in industries ranging from livestock-exporting to sports equipment to internet entertainment. She has represented high-technology start-up companies in obtaining and documenting both bank and venture capital financing.
Other officers announced are:
- Vice Chair: Steven Richman
- Finance Officer: Adam Farlow
- Budget Officer: Prof. William B.T. Mock, Jr. of The John Marshall Law School in Chicago
- Secretary/Operations Officer: Lelia Mooney
- Liaison Officer: Dixon Miller
- Membership Officer: Marcos Rios
- Programs Officer: Robert Brown
- Communications Officer: Ingrid Busson-Hall
- Diversity Officer: Lisa Ryan
- Policy/Government Affairs Officer: David Schwartz
- Publications Officer: Patrick Del Duca
- Rule of Law Officer: Nancy Stafford
- Technology Officer: Marcela Stras