March 15, 2013
Updates from Washington D.C.
The following legislation has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate:
- HR 1039 (Fitzpatrick, R-PA), to rescind unobligated amounts for foreign assistance to Egypt and to appropriate funds for the Department of Defense tuition assistance program; to Appropriations. CR 3/11/13, H1330.
- HR 1130 (Davis, D-CA), to authorize further assistance to Israel for the Iron Dome anti-missile defense system; to Foreign Affairs. CR 3/13/13, H1395.
- HR 1195 (Moran, D-VA), to establish a program to provide grants to nonprofit organizations to enable such organizations to assign and support volunteers to assist foreign countries in the administration of their natural resource in an environmentally sustainable manner; to Foreign Affairs. CR 3/14/13, H1427.
- S 559 (Isakson, R-GA), to establish a fund to make payments to the Americans held hostage in Iran, and to members of their families who are identified as members of the proposed class in case number 1:08-CV-00487 (EGS) of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia; to Foreign Relations. CR 3/13/13, S1786
The following hearings have been scheduled in the U.S. House of Representatives
- The Terrorism, Nonproliferation, and Trade Subcommittee, House Foreign Affairs Committee, will hold a hearing titled “Hezbollah's Strategic Shift: A Global Terrorist Threat.” 3/20/13, 1:30 pm, 2172 Rayburn.
- Asia and the Pacific Subcommittee and Middle East and North Africa Subcommittee, House Foreign Affairs Committee, will hold a joint hearing titled “After the Withdrawal: The Way Forward in Afghanistan and Pakistan.” 3/19/13, 1 pm, 2172 Rayburn.
The following notices were issued by the U.S. State Department, the U.S. Trade Representative, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control:
- On 3/14/13, the United States State Department announced the waiver of restriction on assistance to the Central Government of Somalia in accordance with Section 7031(b)(3) of the Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2012. FR16356.
- On 3/12/13, the Office of the United States Trade Representative announced redesignation, under the United States-Israel Free Trade Area Implementation Act (IFTA Act), of qualifying industrial zones (QIZs) encompassing portions of Israel and Jordan or Israel and Egypt that are eligible to receive duty-free treatment. FR15802.
- On 3/15/13, the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control announced that it is amending the Iranian Financial Sanctions Regulations (the IFSR) to implement Sections 503 and 504 of the Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012, which amended Section 1245 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012; and Section 1, portions of section 6, and other related provisions of Executive Order 13622 of July 30, 2012. FR16403.
Hat tip to the American Bar Association Government Affairs Office
March 15, 2013 | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Updates from Washington D.C.: