Monday, April 2, 2018
Spanish Translations of Critical USCIS Forms Now Available
I’m a Spanish/English translator, and I sometimes take on pro-bono jobs for immigration non-profits. A few months back, one of those non-profits asked me to translate the U and T Visa applications. I assured them that USCIS must already offer these forms in Spanish. I was wrong. In fact, all of USCIS’s form and official instructions, and most of the resources on their website, are available only in English.
In response to this, I’ve launched the FTrMP Project, an effort to make Spanish translations of USCIS asylum and immigration forms available for free online. My hope is that these translations will give migrants greater control over their own legal cases, in addition to reducing the burden on attorneys, interpreters, paralegals, and volunteers.
Documents translated so far include:
- Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status (I-918) and official instructions
- Application for T Nonimmigrant Status (I-914) and official instructions
- Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (I-485)
- Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal (I-589), along with supplements A and B, and official instructions
- Application for Naturalization (N-400) and official instructionsI'm trying to get the word out that this resource is available, so please share it with any colleagues who may find it useful. You can contact me about the project via my website or by emailing email@example.com.Many thanks to ImmigrationProf Blog for helping publicize this new project.
- You can download these forms for free and without registration here. I hope to add more translations in the coming months.