Wednesday, September 12, 2012
From the Associated Press:
The Obama administration has approved the first group of young DREAMer immigrants who will be able to avoid deportation for up to two years and get a work permit. The approval process is months ahead of schedule.
The Department of Homeland Security approved the small group three weeks after the government started accepting applications for the deferred deportation program.
In an e-mail the Associated Press obtained Tuesday, a DHS official told a congressional staff member that the first notifications were being made this week. The DHS official said about 72,000 applications had been received since the program started Aug. 15.