Saturday, March 19, 2005
Jeff Spike, associate professor in the Department of Medical Humanities and Social Science at Florida State, sent in a few observations on the trial judge in the Terri Schiavo case, George W. Greer of Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Court, who is currently being vilified by some of the supporters of her parents' efforts to keep her alive:
1. First, I think Judge Greer has uttered a classic line: "The fact that you -- your committee -- decided to do something today doesn't create an emergency,"
2. This Judge has been an exemplar of careful and patient work with this case for six years now. He is the one who has heard all the testimony and has stood up to tremendous pressure within Florida and now from Congress.
3. He is a graduate of Florida State undergraduate and law school. (A plug.)
4. He is a very religious church-going Baptist, and a Republican.
5. He had the strangest roommate in college. A guy named Jim Morrison. (The latter transferred from FSU to somewhere in Southern California after some legal problems.)